1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short-Term trading thread

Discussion in 'Solar' started by Norse, Oct 28, 2013.

1. forestg

forestg Well-Known Member

Actually what you want is a high short ratio and a company that has the CEO and wall street on its side. For example Tesla. If it wasn't for the sky high shorts on the stock it probably would have been right now at half its price IMO. Unfortunately no solars fits that description and shorts have been right since day one.
  2. Jasonc

Jasonc Member

JKS breakout on high volume, I hope it sustains up to $20 to fill the big gap last August.
  3. stockbutterfly

stockbutterfly Moderator Staff Member

Yes I use to be put up the daily data in the thread call short watching. Its is a deceptive report but the overall trends that are present seem to be useful to track sentiment changes.
  4. stockbutterfly

Yes thats if you want to hit a grand slam. I am aiming for walks, singles and the occassional double.
    forestg likes this.
  5. forestg

I hit that once upon a time with RMBS... all due to short covering... had 100k shares at $18, saw the stock climb to $120 in a month and didn't sell... then in a month it went back down to $33, then in 2.5 months it hit $150 after hours due to short covering, opened at $125 and ended up selling it at $120 and never looked back... now it's at $12....
  6. singular

singular Active Member

Just hit a million shares traded. Something is up.
    stockbutterfly likes this.
  7. stockbutterfly

Oh that was an out of the park grand slam!
  8. stockbutterfly

I am thinking you are onto something and a big deal is in the works. Seems to me a joint venture with the Saudi's to become a big power company would make the JKS longs a little happy. Its just hard to say but there is steady volume driving it higher and higher. I think the Saudi Electric company sees the future in solar energy and JKS their best potential partner. The Saudi's have the cash to make solar big. JKS seems to be leading the whole sector forward today.
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. Jasonc

Jasonc Member

I hope the Saudi Electric folks stopped by JASO on the way home.
    Renfrew24 likes this.
  10. stockbutterfly

Well that was a pretty great day to close the week for all the solar longs. Congrats everyone!
    CB74 likes this.
  11. singular

singular Active Member

Just sold the last of my JKS at 18.98. Very happy with the recent run to get out with good profits. I like JKS a lot, but will try to reenter later if it gives back some of its recent gains. There is a lot of uncertainty right now with the lack of news and no earnings announcement. I think there is a lot of speculation. Could run huge if there is a positive announcement, but might also dip if there is none. JKS tends to drop at earnings. I would love to reenter lower, but hope it actually goes up for the rest of you longs.
    stockbutterfly likes this.
  12. forestg

Last trading day today before the first Chinese Q1 ER with JASO pre-market tomorrow... so place your bets...
  13. singular

singular Active Member

Very heavy volume for JKS and CSIQ. JASO up but volume is not there.
  14. forestg

Too close to ER to stick neck out with heavy volume... expect JASO volume to spike tomorrow... let's hope it's up up and away... but remember last ER where it gap up then down to close gap before up and away where we are now...
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Jasonc likes this.
  15. singular

singular Active Member

I agree. I think it is a wait and see on JASO for most. I haven't been this nervous in a while before a CC. I have a lot riding on JASO at the moment and it is my only solar holding. As you have said, the important thing will be guidance, but can they possibly sneak out a small profit this quarter? That would be great. Will we get anything definitive on buyout? Not holding my breath, but that would be even better.
    Jasonc likes this.
  16. forestg

My main concern is the Q2 guidance of +35c/sh with the addition of another ER without definite info on the buyout... I don't know what would happen to the PPS if analysts would have to bring down the Q2 EPS from 35c/sh... let's hope that scenario does not happen...
  17. stockbutterfly

I am in Ottawa tomorrow for a one day meeting so will miss the JASO event. BTW if i remember correctly this is the one ER in a year that JASO has a tendency to do not do too well. Please check into that folks to make sure my memory still serves me well but I think it relates to the massive Q4 and Chinese new year that makes Q1 a bit weaker than normal on average. Good luck everyone.
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  18. forestg

Moody's downgrades China, warns of fading financial strength as debt mounts
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-rating-idUSKBN18K04Q
    Moody’s Downgrades China Over Worries About Its Growing Debt
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/business/moodys-downgrades-china-economy-debt.html
    Moody's Investors Service downgraded China's credit ratings on Wednesday for the first time in nearly 30 years, saying it expects the financial strength of the economy will erode in coming years as growth slows and debt continues to rise.

The one-notch downgrade in long-term local and foreign currency issuer ratings, to A1 from Aa3, comes as the Chinese government grapples with the challenges of rising financial risks stemming from years of credit-fueled stimulus.

"The downgrade reflects Moody's expectation that China's financial strength will erode somewhat over the coming years, with economy-wide debt continuing to rise as potential growth slows," the rating agency said in a statement, changing its outlook for China to stable from negative.

China's Finance Ministry said the downgrade, Moody's first for the country since 1989, overestimated the risks to the economy and was based on "inappropriate methodology".

“Moody’s views that China’s non-financial debt will rise rapidly and the government would continue to maintain growth via stimulus measures are exaggerating difficulties facing the Chinese economy, and underestimating the Chinese government’s ability to deepen supply-side structural reform and appropriately expand aggregate demand,” the ministry said in a statement.
    ...............more
  19. forestg

With the news of the Moody's downgrade of China let's hope that JASO does not disappoint...
    For the record in Q4 they did 1353 MW modules, $4 billion RMB (574.8M), 12.9% margins, opex $20.9M, and gave guidance for Q1 of total module and cells of 1.2 - 1.3GW
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  20. Klothilde

Klothilde Well-Known Member

China downgrade + 201 investigation means two strikes, bad JASO report would be the third. The pitcher is getting ready...