1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News and Price Targets

Discussion in 'Solar' started by Norse, Oct 28, 2013.

1. forestg

forestg Well-Known Member

Northeastern states moving on carbon pricing
    June 6, 2017
    https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2017/06/northeastern-states-moving-on-carbon-pricing/

The idea of putting a price on carbon to lower greenhouse gas emissions has been around for some years. Since the Trump administration took office in January, it’s actually been gaining traction, notwithstanding the administration’s aggressive efforts against addressing climate change concerns.

The idea is to impose a fee – a tax if you ask folks who don’t like it, and a regressive one at that – on the carbon-emitting items in all sectors of the economy, everything from the gasoline in cars to polluting industrial operations and power plants. And lots more.
    ........more
  2. forestg

Tesla wins contract with major Australian electric grid to deploy Powerpacks across several sites
    June 18, 2017
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2017/06/17/tesla-powerpack-australian-electric-grid/amp/

Australia is feeling the need to stabilize its electric grid through energy storage and Tesla is among several companies trying to present their battery packs as ideal solutions.

Now we learn that Tesla has won the latest contract with Transgrid, the company operating the NSW transmission grid, in order to deploy Powerpack stations at several sites across New South Wales.

They announced this week that the first installation will be a relatively small 250kW/500KWh Powerpack station at the City of Sydney’s Alexandra Canal Works depot. It should be completed in the coming months.
    ...........more
  3. forestg

While Tesla continues winning power pack contracts everywhere, enphase (per their last ER CC) storage sales continue to decline to the point of being irrelevant...
  4. stockbutterfly

stockbutterfly Moderator Staff Member

5. stockbutterfly

6. Klothilde

Klothilde Well-Known Member

7. Klothilde

8. 8thdimension

8thdimension Well-Known Member

It will never work. You lay out that many miles of solar panels, you will have trucks pulling up int he desert stealing the Modules. They already steal from light poles and street signs. You give them unsecured access to hundreds of miles of panels and watch then disappear
  9. forestg

I agree. This is the craziest yet idea from a bat shit crazy person trump...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017 at 9:06 AM
  10. Klothilde

11. stockbutterfly

12. Klothilde

Another report of sharply rising ASPs in the U.S.:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ge-after-trump-proposes-panels-on-border-wall

"...Coker & Palmer Inc. analyst Brad Meikle said the rally had more to do with module prices than Trump. After falling for years, panel prices have climbed to between 41 and 43 cents per watt, from 35 to 39 cents a month ago, Meikle said. That’s largely because a pending trade case could lead to tariffs on solar cells imported into the U.S., potentially squeezing supply and bucking previous concerns that the market was over saturated..."
  13. stockbutterfly

14. Klothilde

15. Klothilde

16. Klothilde

17. Klothilde

18. Klothilde

What's going on, where is everybody? Solar not cool anymore?

Here's a disheartening GTM overview of current system prices. 65 cents in India, 80 in China:
    https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...aw-Dropping-Lows-In-Every-Region-of-the-World

Now think of CSIQ replacing old Japanese projects ($3/W, 25%GM) with new Indian ones ($0.65/W, 5%GM). In order to maintain gross profit they will have to sell 20 times the volume. Right?
  19. stockbutterfly

I think its mostly the sector is on hard times and its difficult to make money ... and a little bit its summer and Forest is away in Australia. The only money to be made in solars is trading and Forest is the best on the board for understanding what might be happening. 8th is our best analyst here, and he is like me, largely watching the sector from the sidelines with the odd quick hold.

When investors see prosperity we get traffic as does SPVI. Hopefully the sector will pick up but its taking a while. We have lost a lot of good people from the site or folks have become irregular visitors such as Eystein, Red Solar, and Xeloris. I think its not that they did not find the solar sector interesting but they were not making reasonable money. We are also attracting few new prominent investors to the sector. I mean the only stock that interests me that I think that might have a reasonable Risk Return to go higher at the moment is DQ. I think we need to be patient and wait out the sector or try and develop other investment areas. I personally do not have a lot of time for the board as professionally I have a very intense workload at the moment. To me the entire energy sector looks to be in trouble with renewables the strongest in a weak sector. Please everyone chirp in if you have any thoughts.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017 at 5:41 PM
  20. 8thdimension

8thdimension Well-Known Member

I am still on the sidelines and have been traveling but to the point of "hard times"

http://markets.businessinsider.com/...st-for-indian-manufacturers-2017-6-1002066367

Solar energy boom turns to bust for Indian manufacturers (INDOSOLAR, MOSERBAER, 9984, GS, 2354, YGE)

Reuters
    Jun. 5, 2017, 02:56 AM

"NEW DELHI, June 5 (Reuters) - Some of India's biggest solar equipment makers are facing financial collapse, priced out by Chinese competitors as Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government prioritises cheap power over local manufacturing despite his 'Make in India' push."

read article for more.......