1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News and Price Targets

Discussion in 'Silver' started by stockbutterfly, Nov 28, 2016.

1. stockbutterfly

stockbutterfly Moderator Staff Member

Use this thread for posting news on silver stocks. Silver demand is increasing with growth in the solar sector
  2. stockbutterfly

3. stockbutterfly

4. stockbutterfly

5. Klothilde

Klothilde Well-Known Member

Horrible news on PV-driven silver demand.

Looks like there is a global demand peak approaching because of decreasing silver consumption per cell.

Analyst houses differ on when this peak will hit but they agree that it is approaching. Either 2016 or 2018 they say.

So make sure you have enough vaseline on hand for when that peak hits.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2016/12/16/debates-about-future-demand-for-silver-in-pv-continue/

http://www.reuters.com/article/silver-solar-idUSL8N1DV4R5
    http://www.silverinstitute.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/EOSilverDemandReportDec2016.pdf
  6. stockbutterfly

Nice links.We have not yet hit peak oil, or peak population so the bleak peak speak does not have a good track record. A quick glance through the reports suggests that we will see continued thrifting of silver (less silver used per watt) but long term growth in the PV market with a blip maybe next year. You can be sure R and D solutions will continue to look for substitutes and efficiency strategies to redue silver use. However silver demand for other industrial markets will likely grow. If PV is expanding at 15% year I am not sure silver thrifting will be as efficient unless the silver price goes through the roof. If silver does go through the roof it would be a major calamity for the PV sector. Here is what I clipped out of the third link above.

Despite the rapid growth in installed capacity of PV in the last five years, its demand for silver did not increase with the same speed. This is caused by cost saving efforts of PV manufacturing firms. Prices for PV cells have empirically followed Swanson’s law, which states that every doubling in installed capacity of PV leads to a roughly 20% decrease in price. Historical data show that PV panel price on average falls at an annual speed of 12.5%. The decrease in price and heat in competition compel manufacturers in constant search of cost saving methods. Silver accounts for 15-25% of the total manufacturing cost of PV panels, and therefore it has become a main focus in cost reduction.
  7. Klothilde

Klothilde Well-Known Member

So are you revising your investment thesis in silver? You claimed silver is a good investment because PV demand of silver will only expand throughout times. Don't the above reports shred this thesis to pieces since they forecast decreasing demand from the PV industry?
  8. stockbutterfly

Its has diverse industrial demand compared to gold as a precious metal. You always seem to go to the extremes its either horrible or terrfic. I think your silver reports helpful but everything needs to be analyzed in a larger context and you cannot come to quick conclusions. Sometimes here on TCI I think we hear peak bullshit but i never proclaim i think today is a peak bullshit day as it is a safe bet new levels of bullshit can arise.

I think the biggest problem with silver investing is the market manipulation just like solars. With the problems of debt and potential for global conflict with China under Trump I think precious metals is going to remain part of my portfolio and silver preferred to gold for me.
  9. stockbutterfly

10. Coma Kid

Coma Kid Active Member

11. Coma Kid

Coma Kid Active Member

12. Coma Kid

Coma Kid Active Member

I'm back in JNUG. I expect a significant pop in the metal and more so in the mining shares by November and continuing into January.